UnknownHostException with sample UI

May 5, 2009 at 7:10 PM
Greetings,

I am just starting to take a look at the sample UI that is included with the SDK and received the following error after logging in through the UI: com.microsoft.hsg.HVTransportException: java.net.UnknownHostException: platform.healthvault-ppe.com

Based off the error it would seem that the private certificate is not recognized by Health Vault. Since the sample UI ships with a certificate i can't imagine this is the case so I am a bit puzzled.

Here are the steps I made:
mvn install (sdk)
mvn package (ui)
mvn jetty:run
open browser to "http://localhost:8080/jwildcat-ui"

I apologize if this is covered some where or there is something that I missed in the README but after reading through it several times nothing is jumping out as to what would be causing this error.

My dev machine is:
Ubuntu 9.04
JDK 1.6.0.13
Maven 2.0.10
the SDK and UI where built from sources which I pulled from SVN a couple days ago.

Thanks,
Lance
Coordinator
May 13, 2009 at 4:15 PM

It looks like your machine cannot resolve the host platform.healthvault-ppe.com to an IP address.  This may be an issue with your DNS.  Can you hit the the url https://platform.healthvault-ppe.com/wildcat.ashx from a browser?

May 18, 2009 at 5:38 PM

Your probably dead on! As it turns out DNS resolution in Java apps suddenly broke on my machine right before I tried the sample.

I think I have the Java DNS resolution issue fixed so I will give the sample another go.

Thanks!

Jul 1, 2009 at 4:42 PM

Hello Robmay:

Not sure if this is the proper thread, but I will try. I am trying to get a HV application to run under Tomcat from WebSphere and the application throwing an exception:

Caused by: com.microsoft.hsg.HVTransportException: java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect
	at com.microsoft.hsg.URLConnectionTransport.doRequest(URLConnectionTransport.java:48)
	at com.microsoft.hsg.Connection.makeRequest(Connection.java:173)
	at com.microsoft.hsg.Connection.send(Connection.java:142)
	... 39 more

from the following source according to the author:

Request request = new Request();
        	request.setTtl(3600 * 8 + 300);  
        	request.setMethodName("GetPersonInfo");
        	request.setUserAuthToken(userAuthToken);
        	HVAccessor accessor = new HVAccessor();
        	accessor.send(request, ConnectionFactory.getConnection());   --> Error is occurring here...
        	InputStream is = accessor.getResponse().getInputStream();
        	is.mark(Integer.MAX_VALUE);
I cannot hit url https://platform.healthvault-ppe.com/wildcat.ashx from my browser. I get the following response:
Server Error in '/' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The resource cannot be found. 
Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.  Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly. 

Requested URL: /wildcat.ashx
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Could this be my problem? I am having a problem determining to what the connection is timing out?
All help is appreciated.
Thanks
Bernie Hogan
Coordinator
Jul 1, 2009 at 9:24 PM

bhogan,

Does the sample application run ok outside of WebShpere for you?  i.e.  in Jetty or Tomcat from maven?  If it works that way, then there is nothing wrong with your machine or network and we can turn to WebSphere configurations.

In the configuration file, the connect timeout is set to 0:

transport.timeout.connect=0

I'm not 100% certain how WebSphere handles the case where the connect timeout is set to 0.  You can try increasing it to see if that helps.  I am unsure if there are any other configurations in WebShpere limiting outbound calls, or if the user you are running under is somehow firewalled but is may be a good idea to check.

--Rob

Jul 1, 2009 at 9:34 PM

Thanks Rob.

Found out that I was trying to hit the incorrect URL. I was redirected to https://platform.healthvault-ppe.com/platform/wildcat.ashx and was able to connect.

Thanks

Bernie