Sending Data to HealthVault as a CDA document

Dec 31, 2012 at 7:32 PM
Edited Dec 31, 2012 at 7:34 PM

From what I see on line it appears that one can send data to HealthVault as a CDA document. So if I took some Blood pressure and pulse ox measurements, I can create a CDA with a results and vital signs sections and send it somehow? Is the CDA just treated like a 'thing' in this case or does one create the xml form of the document and package that in some form?

Has anyone has ever done this and if so how well does it work compared to the 'standard' approach? (Would appreciate any insight as I already have code that creates CDAs.) I also have code that generates things for HealthVault in a SODA model application.

Coordinator
Jan 2, 2013 at 11:16 PM

HealthVault understands CCDs.  CCD has it's own thing type, but the contents will under go some special handling.

If the input is a CCD, HealthVault will try to reconcile the information into it's native types as best as it can.  In your case, if the CCD contains blood pressure and pulse ox measurements, HealthVault will insert those native types along side the CCD.  If you go this route, it is worthwhile to ensure HealthVault understands the CCD well enough to do that reconciliation. 

Alternatively, you can insert the measurements in their native types directly.

I recently added a CCD unit test under sdk/src/test/com/microsoft/hsg/PutThingsTest.java if you want to have a look.

--Rob

Jan 3, 2013 at 3:16 PM

I will check that out. The only reason I might consider the CCD approach is that I already have code to generate one. But to be honest that seems to be a very inefficient way to pop a measurement or two into HV!