Android Support

Jun 29, 2011 at 6:47 AM

Hi Rob.

I noticed there were some check-ins for android, could you please elaborate on what the plans are? Is a complete library going to be available for Android devices or a subset of the features? Any timeline you have in mind for the completion of that effort?

Many thanks in advance,

Ali.

Coordinator
Jun 29, 2011 at 11:41 AM
Edited Jun 30, 2011 at 12:19 AM

Hi Ali,

The code on the Android branch should work.  I'll be posting a beta download very shortly.  I started to write some documentation here.  There is an SDK and a sample application.

It does the SODA authentication and provides a low level framework for making requests.  It does not have marshalling for all the methods and types.

--Rob

Jun 29, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Hi Rob.

Your link points to this thread in this this discussion so could you please post the correct one?

Thanks

Ali.

Coordinator
Jun 30, 2011 at 12:20 AM

Sorry, it should point to here:  http://healthvaultjavalib.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Android Support

Aug 3, 2011 at 2:17 AM

Hi Rob,

I'm trying to understand the development flow  HealthVault app for Android. I have simple questions

1. when registering app, which app type should i select? SODA or Web App?

2. is private and public cert required for android app?

3.  please also highlight the difference between hv java sdk and android sdk.(is java sdk a web app that it requires a cert?) 

4.  It'll be good to give introduction on the sdk and not just how to build/use.

Thanks.

Coordinator
Aug 3, 2011 at 5:56 AM

Hi,

For Android apps select SODA.

SODA applications do not use private/public key technology

The sdk is pretty basic.  It manages authentication, signs requests, and handles errors.  The Android sdk provides some simple tools to authenticate on Android and use the SDK,  The hv-jaxb library adds XML marshalling classes on top of the sdk but won't work on Android.  You can build SODA and Web apps on top of the SDK.  There are some example applications that show how to use some of it.  WebApplications require PKI.

There is a lot of developer information for HealthVault here.  To use this SDK you will need to understand the XML requests and responses to HealthVault.

--Rob

Aug 3, 2011 at 2:17 PM
Edited Aug 3, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply.

I've created a SODA app in App Config Center, and the AppId is also generated automatiaclly. I;ve also set the soda app rules to allow CRUD on Weight Measurements. 

I use thid AppId as the masterAppId  in settings.setMasterAppId(appId). the app managed to get authenticated and showed the weightActivity. however, when i tried to add a weight, there's  'com.microsoft.hsg.HVAccessDeniedException: Access is denied'. what's the cause of this?

charly

EDIT:

Hi Rob, I know the problem already. after changing the soda app rule, i need to re-authenticate the app again. problem solved now. 

Thanks

Coordinator
Aug 3, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Great Charly.  I'm glad to hear you are making progress.